
It was my turn to pick the next book for my little book-club. I always feel so much pressure to pick a great book. I have picked some pretty lousy ones! Anyway, I had never read Jane Austen. I thought I would be safe picking such a popular classic. This book was written in the early eighteen hundreds. I've heard it described as a thick style of Regency England. I am enjoying the wit and charm, but it is taking me foreverrrrrr! I started reading it on January 5! It is only 262 pages...... and I'm only on page 78!
Here is one cute little sentence as an example from page 40 -
He wisely resolved to be particularly careful that no sign of admiration should now escape him, nothing that could elevate her with the hope of influencing his felicity; sensible that if such an idea had been suggested, his behaviour during the last day must have material weight in confirming or crushing it.
Any Jane Austen fans out there? Happy Reading!
5 Comments:
Keri, this is one of my favorite books! I tore through it. I don't think I could have loved it more. Regina, back me up on this. She and I read it at the same time. We were both reading fools. I was very disappointed with the movie because it lost the essence of the book.
I think you should start over and give yourself some time to get involved. The romance is so simple, but so perfect. Keep me posted on how it works out.
Love ya and great book choice.
I have to admit I haven't read it. I love the language of the example. I wish we were more careful anf eloquent in our speech today - "nothing that could elevate her with the hope of influencing his felicity..." I love it. I don't know what it means, but I love it.
Maybe Michelle can translate.
Dan
alright, i tried to read this book about 8 times before i actually read it. the beginning is HORRIBLE. very boring and slow going. power through. i promise it gets good. about midway through it gets interesting and you will end up loving it. keep reading!!
r
Whoa! A little wordy for my taste, but after reading the above comments, I might have to give it a whirl! I just started World Without End by Follet. I am looking forward to the page turning drama! Good luck and keep at it!
BTW, I am loving your Austeny remarks! Are you starting to enjoy it yet??
Post a Comment